Between the garden & my CSA share, I am really eating some great food. And, I’ve been biking 20 miles every other day, so I definitely needed a reward. I had some strawberries left from last week’s Farmer’s Market and a plethora of basil, so when I saw a recipe for frozen yogurt, I decided I was justified. Plus, I got my ice cream maker at Walmart last year as a Christmas mark-down for $9.00, so I feel obligated to use it frequently. A girl can justify anything !!
Some part of my brain said frozen yogurt is better for you than ice cream…..and, it was pink, too !! Obviously I’ve been into eating pink lately. You know they have those ads for eating green, red, orange and purple….but what about pink ??
STRAWBERRY BASIL FROZEN YOGURT (adapted from Southern Living)
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup sugar (or Splenda)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon lime zest (or juice)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup fat-free half & half (or whipping cream)
- Stir together strawberries, sugar, basil & lime zest in a medium bowl. Let stand 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pulse strawberry mixture, basil, and lime zest in a food processor 9 to 10 times or until berries are finely chopped (almost pureed). If the strawberries are very ripe, you can use a muddler instead of the food processor.
- Whisk together yogurt and half & half in a medium bowl until smooth; stir strawberry mixture into yogurt mixture until well blended. Cover and chill 1 hour.
Churn in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer to container and chill in freezer for 3 to 4 hours before serving.
NOTE: if using Splenda, the yogurt will freeze very hard & will need to sit out for 15-20 minutes prior to serving.