If you believe food should be fun, easy and taste good, then give this a try. I was inspired when I saw the photo at Gourmet about the time our weather turned cooler & the market is now filled with fall produce. Just look at this….
Since I was preparing a dinner party which included vegans, this dish was the hit of the evening with it’s exotic looks and great taste.
If the ‘cook by color’ option doesn’t inspire you, the flavors in this dish will since it really brings out all the best of fall squash. Enjoy !!
Black Pasta with Roasted Squash
Adapted from Gourmet, Black & Orange Halloween Pasta
- 2 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 2 orange bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces (optional)
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced or 2 tsps minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves or combo fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, basil)
- 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon each, salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb black linguine or black vermicilli (rice noodles)
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
- grated Parmesan (optional)
Preheat over to 425F for roasting squash. Toss squash & peppers(if using) with herbs pepper flakes, salt/pepper & EVOO. Roast for 25-35 min on sheet pan until tender and slightly browned, stirring once. (For a speedier dish, steam the veggies in a covered dish for 5 min before roasting in the microwave. This will reduce oven time to 15 min.)
While veggies roast, cook pasta in boiling salted water for 5-7 min or as directed on package. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water, then drain pasta & return to pot. Add olives & toss. When veggies are done, add to the pasta & toss together. If needed, add a small amount of reserved pasta water & adjust seasonings to taste. Serve on a white platter.